Monday, December 18, 2006

Brooklyn Museum::Exhibit

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Annie Leibovitz
Oct.20, 2005-Jan.21, 2007
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ron Mueck
No.3,2004-Feb.4,2007

This weekend, I finally ventured out to the deep end of Brooklyn; a once foreign area to me, called Flatbush. There, I paid a visit to the Brooklyn Museum, something I had been longing to do since I arrived in New York.
When entering, I decided to start at the very top of the building, working my way down.
I began with "American Identities" which is a vast collection of American art. Personally, colonial work does not appeal to me. However, I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship involved.
Then I headed into "Visible Storage” which is all Tiffany glass and lamps, examples of contemporary industrial design and furniture, which I enjoyed very, very much (Took a photo w/ my camera phone but still trying to figure out how to upload it!).
Then we stepped into the main attraction.
First up was Ron Mueck. When first entering the room, you’re overwhelmed with desire to look everywhere. The room is large yet seems small in comparison to these overwhelmingly large sculptures, ranging from 33 cm to 63 ft long in size. The well thought out detail of each and every sculpture is brilliantly achieved for it's realism and in my opinion, can only be fully appreciated in person. Overall, his exhibit was everything I hoped. A fantastical journey & a peak into what a world would be like with if there were giant torsos, faces, and gargantuan newborns.
Next up was Annie Leibovitz. I've always been a fan of her work, but I had never considered her to be one of my favorite photographers. I've always thought of her as more of a documentarian & photo icon, mostly well know for her captivating celebrity images. However, viewing her work this weekend in it's entirety has broadened my view of this prolific artist. She’s not only a photographer with well-publicized portraits of Demi Moore, but she’s also one of the most thoughtful photographers out there. She has an innate sense for timing and is able to capture some of the most emotional and personal moments. I.E, Images of her longtime companion Susan Sontag through her stages of cancer. I am much more appreciative of her after this weekend, and I’ll be sure to keep an eye on any new developments she may have.
Overall, the exhibit for both artists was well worth the trip!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails